A Slice of History: Pizza Facts
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Everyone loves pizza. It is simply a fact of life. But did you know that the word “pizza” dates back over 1000 years? Mentions of it can be found in text from southern Italy around the year 997 CE! With that in mind, it’s no wonder there’s so many amazing stories concerning our delicious friend made of dough, cheese, and sauce. Below are 10 unique, interesting facts that you might think about before eating your next slice of heaven:
- In 1905, the first pizza place in America was opened in New York City called Lombardi’s.
- The Hawaiian pizza wasn’t invented until 1962.
- In the 1960s, the U.S. government used fake pizza deliveries to spy on reporters and politicians.
- In 2001, history was made when Pizza Hut delivered a pizza to the International Space Station strapped onto a Russian rocket.
- In America, the most pizzas are sold on Halloween, the night before Thanksgiving, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, and Super Bowl Sunday, of course.
- It has been researched and estimated that 40% of Americans eat pizza at least once a week.
- It’s also likely that you’ll eat over 6,000 pizza slices throughout your life.
- The world record for the largest circular pizza was set in South Africa in 1990. The pizza measured 122 feet across and weighed nearly 27,000 pounds!
- What’s America’s favorite pizza topping? You guessed it: Pepperoni. It can be seen on 36% of all pizza orders.
- The most expensive pizza in the world costs $12,000 and it’s called the Pizza Louis XIII. Toppings include caviar, red prawns, lobster, and sea cicada.
Ready for another slice yet? Order from Pizza Tower today!
Subscribe To Our Blog
08/23/2017 - Pizza Delivery of the Future
07/01/2017 - Is Pizza Healthy?
05/31/2017 - A Slice of History: Pizza Fact
12/29/2016 - The Pizza Diet
11/10/2016 - Pizza for the Holidays
09/29/2016 - Calculating How Much Pizza You
08/23/2016 - Everyone Loves Pizza
07/29/2016 - Tips for Hosting the Best Slum
06/20/2016 - There’s No Better Summer Food
05/16/2016 - Summer Festivals 2016
04/15/2016 - For Those Who Just Can’t Get E
03/14/2016 - Today is Pi Day! Let’s Celebra
02/16/2016 - Throwing a Great Pizza Party
01/19/2016 - Creativity and Math in Cutting
12/09/2015 - The Fun of Food Trucks